Your New Council Tax Bill

Your New Council Tax Bill

This page includes useful information to help you make sense of your bill, understand what the money is used for and lists our most frequently asked questions.
Money - several coins on top of a note
A hand holding a pen writing on an official document or form.
Hands typing on a computer keyboard.

What does Council Tax pay for?

The Council Tax you pay helps support a wide range of services provided by:

  • Norfolk Police - '"enhancing the quality of life for all residents in Norfolk"
  • Norfolk Fire Service - "making Norfolk a safer place"
  • Norfolk County Council - Children's Services, Community Services (including libraries), Environment, Transport and Development (including street lighting) and Public Health are a few of the services covered
  • Town or Parish Council - each Town or Parish Council has different responsibilities
  • Breckland Council - a few of the services covered include Environmental Health, Housing, Planning, support for local businesses, wheelie bin collection and street cleaning.

We all live in the district and benefit from many of these services so every household gets a bill.

Our visual guide will help answer any questions you have about the information on your bill..

Breckland's Spending Plan focuses on our core values:

  • Taking pride in Breckland
  • Building Stronger Communities
  • Supporting the Local Economy
  • Being an Entrepreneurial Council

How is the Bill Calculated?

The Anglia Revenues Partnership provides Council Tax and Benefit services for Breckland and their website provides a wealth of detailed information on how the bill is calculated, including:

A pound coin split into a pie chart.  76p goes to Norfolk County Council, 14p to Norfolk Police and Crime Commissioner, 5p average Parish share, 5p to Breckland Council

Town and Parish Precepts

The portion of your bill that goes to your Town or Parish Council (known as the Town or Parish Precept) varies from place to place. Larger Councils such as Attleborough, Dereham, Swaffham, Thetford and Watton are required to publish Budget Details.

Bawdeswell, Dereham, Thetford and Watton Town Councils have special arrangements for the payment of street lighting under the heading of Special Expenses.

A list of all Town and Parish Precepts including a comparison to the last financial year is also available.

What do I need to do?

Please check your bill carefully. If you are not familiar with the layout have a look at our Guide to Your Bill.

If you are already on direct debit you needn’t take any action, just check the bill for your new direct debit instalments.

If you pay by standing order you will need to contact your bank and let them know your new instalment schedule.

If you pay by cash or cheque you will need to visit a PayPoint with your bill (which has a barcode printed on the bottom left hand corner) and your payment. You can locate your nearest PayPoint here.


Frequently Asked Questions:

Q     How do I make a payment
  A   Visit our Pay for it page or call our automated payment line 0845 600 1936 to pay by debit card. Alternatively, you can set up a direct debit.
2 Q How can I set up a direct debit?
  A Direct debits can be set up on-line and are easy to maintain. What's more you can choose from three payment dates 5th, 15th or 25th of the month. Visit our Pay for it page for further instructions.
3 Q How do I obtain a bar code letter for paying council tax?
  A Your personal bar code is included on your bill. If you need a new one you can visit our Apply for it page.
4 Q How can I apply to receive my bills and maintain my account on-line? 
  A Visit our Apply for it page and register for E-billing.
5 Q There is a balance outstanding from previous years on my bill which appears to be incorrect?
  A Payments that are due to be made after the issue date on the bill will not be included and will be listed as outstanding. This includes planned payments by direct debit.
6 Q I'm struggling to manage my money
  A The Citizens Advice Bureau help people resolve their legal, money and other problems by providing free, independent and confidential advice. You can input your postcode on their home page to find your local bureau.

The Money Advice Service provides easy to understand information and advice. This service is set up by the Government and paid for by the Financial Services Industry and is open to everyone.

7 Q I would like to register a change of address
   A Visit our Report it page and complete a change of address form.
8 Q How do I apply for housing or council tax benefit?
  A Please visit the Anglia Revenues Partnership website to complete an electronic claim form or e-mail us ( to request a call from a benefit assessor.
Q How do I advise housing benefits of my change of circumstances?
  A Visit our Report it page and complete a change of circumstances form.
10  Q How can I report someone I suspect of committing benefit fraud?
  A Visit our Report it page and complete a benefit fraud form.