Cockerels and Poultry

It is not illegal to keep cockerels in a residential area, however if its crowing affects other people in the area then we can investigate.

For us to take formal action, the crowing has to be excessive and at unreasonable hours, significantly interfering with the enjoyment of your home. In most cases, you should approach your neighbour directly about the matter to try to resolve the problem informally.

If the problem continues then you can report the issue to us online.

Letters will be sent to both parties and you will be asked to complete a set of monitoring forms, to show us how often you are being affected by the noise.

On receipt of the forms, officers may visit to determine whether a statutory nuisance is occurring. We will try to offer advice and assistance to the owner of the animal to minimise the crowing. If we are satisfied that the crowing is causing a statutory nuisance, a notice can be served to reduce or stop the noise occurring.

We have guidance for those who keep, or are considering keeping, poultry on a domestic scale and offers advice and guidance on how to minimise disturbance to neighbours from noise, smell and pests.

Last updated: 08/03/2021 10:02:26