What complaints does the Monitoring Officer deal with?

The Monitoring Officer can only deal with complaints about a failure to comply with the Code of Conduct.

If a complaint relates to something other than the Code of Conduct, the following options are available:

Complaints about the District Council can be made on thewebsite, or by writing to the Council:

Breckland Council, Elizabeth House, Walpole Loke, Dereham,NR19 1EE

If, following a complaint made to the Council, you are not satisfied with the response, theLocal Government Ombudsman may be able to help.

Complaints about a Parish Council should be made in the first instance through its own complaints procedure.
A Parish Council has a duty to have a complaints policy or procedure and to make it available to the public.

If your complaint about a District or Parish Council relates to the availability of information and it is not forthcoming then you have the right to question this under the Freedom of Information Act. Further information on your rights under the Freedom of Information Act are availableonline.

Last updated: 19/06/2020 09:12:47