11 January - February 2021: Ancient House Museum series of events
During January and February Ancient House Museum will be running a series of events giving you the chance to quiz some very special characters from years gone by. From late January, you'll also be able to join the team as they transport you to a different time and place during Museum Storytime.
- 11th January at 10:30am-11am: Online Quiz a Character: Tabitha, a 1920s Ancient Egyptian archaeologist
What did Ancient Egyptians wear? Why did they make mummies? And what really is a scarab beetle? Our Edwardian archaeologist will guide you through an incredible collection of real Egyptian artefacts, and answer all the questions you ever wanted to ask about Ancient Egypt in this fun, interactive session. What will you ask?
- 18th January at 10.30am-11am: Online Quiz a Character: Octavia, a Roman woman
Octavia will tell you about life in Roman Norfolk and show you some of her items from her villa. She will answer all your questions about the Roman era.
- 21st January at 10.30am to 11am: Online Quiz a Character: Mr Bradfield, the Victorian schoolmaster
Mr Bradfield welcomes you to his Victorian schoolroom. Find out how children were taught 150 years ago. Learn the rules of the classroom and make sure you know your Times Tables. Be warned, the cane is always ready!
- 25th January at 10.30am to 11am: Online Quiz a Character: Betty, a Second World War Housewife
It's 1940 and Kings Lynn is busy coping with war. Betty has an evacuee billeted on her and is learning how to make the most of a ration. She will show you some objects from her home and you can ask her questions about life on the Home Front.
- 29th January at 10.30am to 11am: Online Museum Storytime: 'The Story of the Rainbow Flag' Family LGBT+ History Month Storytime
Join staff from Ancient House to learn the history of the Rainbow Pride flag and other important symbols for the LGBTQAI+ community. Listen to Rob Sander's 'Pride: The Story of Harvey Milk and the Rainbow Flag' Picture book and find out how you can enter the LGBT History Month badge competition too!
- 4th February at 10.30am-11am: Online Quiz a Character: William Ploughwright, a workhouse inmate
Workhouses were places for the Poor in Victorian England. People went there when they had nowhere else to go. Meet William Ploughwright as he enters Gressenhall workhouse and ask him questions about his life. Be prepared to pick oakum and eat gruel!
- 5th February at 10.30am to 11am: Online Museum Storytime: 'The Tiger who Came to Tea' Storytime
Join Horace, Lynn Museum's tiger and staff from Lynn Museum and Ancient House for the classic children's story Judith Kerr's 'The Tiger who Came to Tea' and see how to make a simple tiger craft.
- 8th February at 10:30am-11am: Online Quiz a Character: Grace, a woman accused of witchcraft
The year is 1646. Alone, confused and misunderstood, Grace is in the gaol house cell in King's Lynn accused of being a witch. Come and meet her and hear her side of the story. What will you ask her about life in prison before she faces the tough questioning in court?
- 12th February at 10.30am to 11am: Online Museum Storytime: 'Gumdrop and the Farmer's Friend' Storytime
Join staff from Lynn Museum and Ancient House to listen to Val Biro's 'Gumdrop and the Farmer's Friend' and find out about Frederick Savage who made steam engines in Kings Lynn. Learn about steam powered fairground ride and how to make a simple merry-go-round craft too!
All tickets can be booked on the Ancient House Museum website.
Last updated: 14/01/2021 08:17:34