Table and Chairs on Pavement

Do I need this licence?

To place tables, chairs or other temporary furniture on the pavement in England and Wales you require a licence from your local authority.

What information/evidence will I need to provide?

In addition to theonline Consent to place tables and chair on the highway application form you need to provide the following:

  • A copy of your  Public Liability Insurance (PDF) [489KB]  (minimum £5,000,000).
  • A plan showing the exact location and dimensions of the licence.
  • The location of the furniture within that area.
  • A description of the furniture/barriers to be used.
  • Photographs of the area to be covered by the tables and chairs licence and the surrounding highway.

What are the conditions and cost of the licence?

Please see standard conditions (PDF) [17KB]  adopted by Breckland District Council.  These conditions may be subject to alteration or addition depending upon any individual applications.

Your application must be advertised at the location for the duration of 28 days.  Consultation will also take place with other interested parties.

Licensable activityFee

Tables and Chairs licence - new


Tables and Chairs licence - renewal


Copy of licence (if lost or stolen)


Will Tacit Consent apply?

No.  This means that you are not able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from the local authority by the end of the target completion period of 90 calendar days.

How do I apply?

You will need to complete theonline Consent to place tables and chair on the highway application form, and ensure that you uploaded the relevant information/evidence as above. There is a fee for this and is payable by debit card or credit card.

What happens if I'm turned down, how do I appeal?

Please email Breckland Council's Licensing team (

Last updated: 01/04/2023 00:01:03