Can I make a request for personal information about someone else?

We will usually send the information directly to them unless they instruct us otherwise.

Sometimes the person who you are making the request for is unable to exercise their right of access because they are too young or they do not have the mental capacity to understand their rights.

Parents/carers are able to make applications on behalf of their children, but they have no automatic right to the information.  If a child is old enough to give informed consent of the information, the Council will be guided by their wishes.  In all cases, disclosure of information will only occur if it is in the best interests of the child.

Authority to act on behalf of an adult lacking mental capacity normally requires a lasting power of attorney, which we will require sight of before we share any information.