Approved Food Premises

Who needs approval? 

Food businesses that manufacture, process, store or handle products of animal origin may require 'approval', because the activities include high risk operations. Usually, business requiring approval are involved in either the manufacture, storage or wholesaling of these foods.

If you are involved with any of the following activities, you may require approval and need to complete ouronline approved establishment application form:

  • ​minced meat
  • meat preparation
  • mechanically separating meat or meat products
  • live bivalve molluscs
  • fishery produce
  • raw milk
  • dairy produce
  • eggs and egg production
  • frogs legs and snails
  • rendered animal fats and greaves
  • treated stomachs, bladders, intestines
  • gelatine and collagen
  • some cold stores
  • some wholesale markets or distributors

You may also require approval if:

  • you supply products of animal origin to another food business, especially if you supply businesses outside of the local area
  • your supply to businesses is greater than 25% of your overall business.

Who is exempt?

You'll be exempt from approval if you're only supplying the final consumer.  To be exempt, you must not supply other food businesses.

Applying for approval

If you want to operate as an approved premises, you must have 'prior approval' from us before you start trading; this includes an approval document and a unique identification number issued by Breckland Council, which you may need to apply to the labels on your products.

To apply for approval you'll need:

  • ​a detailed plan of the proposed establishment (the plan should show the location of the rooms to be used for storage and processing of raw materials, product and waste)
  • a copy of your Food Safety Management System (HACCP)
  • a copy of your proposed waste collection and disposal arrangements (for example, your contract)
  • a copy of your proposed pest control arrangements (for example, your contract)

Further Advice

Please contact us if you are unsure if your business requires approval by completing ouronline form and provide as much information as possible about your proposed food activities.

Food retailers or caterers that sell to the final consumer usually only have to complete an online separate simplifiedFood Business registration form. Further details can be found on ourregistering a food business page.

Do you require new business advice, food safety training or consultancy in preparation for becoming an approved establishment?  Visit ehcUK our trusted training and consultancy partner'swebsite.

Last updated: 13/05/2020 15:04:52