Change to State Aid
EU-UK Trade and Co-operation Agreement (TCA)
Small Amounts of Financial Assistance
Grants may be paid in accordance with Article 3.2(4) of the TCA, which enables an applicant to receive up to a maximum level of subsidy without engaging Chapter 3 of the TCA. This allowance is 325,000 Special Drawing Rights, to a single economic actor over any period of three fiscal years, which is the equivalent of £335,000 as of 2 March 2021. An applicant may elect not to receive grants under the Small Amounts of Financial Assistance Allowance and instead receive grants only using the below allowances available under this scheme.
COVID-19 Business Grant Allowance
Where the Small Amounts of Financial Assistance Allowance has been reached, grants may be paid in compliance with the Principles set out in and in compliance with:
- Article 3.4 of the TCA.
- Article 3.2(3) of the TCA under the COVID-19 Business Grant Allowance (subsidies granted on a temporary basis to respond to a national or global economic emergency).
For the purposes of these scheme rules, this allowance is £1,600,000 per single economic actor. This allowance includes any grants previously received under the COVID-19 business grant schemes and any State aid previously received under Section 3.1 of the European Commission's Temporary Framework across any other UK scheme. This may be combined with the Small Amounts of Financial Assistance Allowance to equal £1,935,000 (subject to the exact amount applicable under the Small Amounts of Financial Assistance Allowance using the Special Drawing Right calculator).
COVID-19 Business Grant Special Allowance
Where an applicant has reached its limit under the Small Amounts of Financial Assistance Allowance and COVID-19 Business Grant Allowance, it may be able to access a further allowance of funding. Under these scheme rules, this amount is up to £9,000,000 per single economic actor, provided the following conditions are met:
- The Special Allowance covers only the applicant's uncovered fixed costs incurred during the period between 1 March 2020 and 31 March 2022, including such costs incurred in any part of that period ('eligible period').
- Applicants must demonstrate a decline in turnover during the eligible period of at least 30 per cent compared to the same period in 2019. The calculation of losses will be based on:
- Audited accounts or official statutory accounts filed at Companies House, or
- Approved accounts submitted to HMRC, which includes information on the applicant's profit and loss.
- 'Uncovered fixed costs' means fixed costs not otherwise covered by profit, insurance or other subsidies.
- The grant payment must not exceed 70 per cent of the applicant's uncovered fixed costs, except for micro and small enterprises, where the grant payment must not exceed 90 per cent of the uncovered fixed costs. For the purposes of this scheme, small enterprises are defined as less than 50 employees and less than £9,000,000 of annual turnover and/or annual balance sheet.
- Grant payments under this allowance must not exceed £9,000,000 per single economic actor. This allowance includes any grants previously received in accordance with Section 3.12 of the European Commission's Temporary Framework; all figures used must be gross, that is, before any deduction of tax or other charge.
- Grants provided under this allowance shall not be cumulated with other subsidies for the same costs.
Last updated: 29/09/2022 10:46:41