Self Isolation Payments

The Department of Health & Social Care (DHSC) announced 20 September they require Local Authorities to administer a £500 self-isolation payment where residents meet certain eligibility criteria.

If you have been told by the NHS to self-isolate, either because you have tested positive for coronavirus COVID-19 or you have been in contact with someone who has tested positive, you may be entitled to some financial support during your self-isolation period.

What are Self-Isolation Payments?

People who are eligible will receive a fixed amount of £500.

Payment is subject to income tax but not National Insurance. Local Authorities are required to notify HMRC.

Who is eligible?

People who live in the Breckland district who have received a notification from NHS Test and Trace to self-isolate will be entitled to a Self-Isolation Payment providing they satisfy all of the following requirements:

  • They have been told to self-isolate by NHS test and trace because they have tested positive for Coronavirus, or 
  • They have been told to self-isolate by NHS test and trace because they have recently been in close contact with someone who has tested positive and they are over the age of 18 and have not been double vaccinated.
  • They comply with the notification from NHS Test and Trace to self-isolate.
  • They have a National Insurance number.
  • They are employed or self-employed.
  • They are unable to work from home and will lose income as a result.
  • Applicant or partner are in receipt of one of the following benefits:
    • Universal Credit
    • Working Tax Credit
    • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
    • Housing Benefit
    • Income Support
    • Income based Job Seeker's Allowance
    • Pension Credit
    • or you have a household income of less than £50,000 (couples with children or single parents), £40,000 (couples with no children) or £30,000 (single person) and have savings of less than £10,000.

Please be aware that the notification to self-isolate date must be on or after 28 September 2020. Any claim must be made within 42 days after the first day of an individual's period of self-isolation. People can claim for more than one test, should they test positive/be told to self-isolate again in the future.

Who is not eligible?

You will not be eligible for the scheme if you:

  • Are self-isolating after returning to the UK from abroad, unless you have tested positive for coronavirus or have been told to stay at home and self-isolate by NHS Test and Trace.
  • Continue to receive full wages while you self-isolate.
  • Can work from home during a period of self-isolation.
  • Are no longer required to self-isolate, meaning your period of self-isolation ended before the Self-Isolation Payment Scheme launched (28 September 2020)
  • Have not received a notification from NHS Test and Trace telling you to self-isolate.

The scheme will end on 31 March 2022.

Parents and guardians:

From 16 August 2021, parents or guardians who are not legally required to self-isolate can apply for a Self-Isolation Payment if they need to take time off work to care for a child or young person who is self-isolating.

Applications can be made if your child has tested positive.

Or your child is aged between 18 and 25 and has an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHC) and is a close contact of someone who has tested positive.

This is limited to one parent or guardian per household for the child or young person's self-isolation period. Parents/guardians can claim more than once, provided their child/young person's self-isolation periods do not overlap. This applies whether same child or two different children.

To qualify for this payment, you must:

  • Be employed or self-employed.
  • Be unable to work from home and will lose income as a result.
  • Meet all the other means-tested eligibility criteria.

In addition to this you must satisfy the following requirements:

  • The parent or guardian must be in the same household as the child or young person and needs to take time off work to care for them while they self-isolate.
  • The child or young person who normally attends an education or childcare setting must be either:
    • Aged 15 or under.
    • Aged between 18 and 25 and have an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHC).
  • The child or young person has been told to self-isolate by NHS Test and Trace, or by their education or childcare setting - this can be evidenced by providing either:
    •  The child's eight-digit Test and Trace ID number - for ages 15 and under.
    •  A communication from the child or young person's education or childcare setting to confirm that they have to self-isolate.
    •  A screenshot of a young person's NHS COVID-19 app notification to confirm they need to self-isolate and proof of an EHC - for ages 16 to 25.

Other help available for positive Lateral flow Tests (LFT)

If you have a positive lateral flow test, you will not be eligible for a self-isolation payment straight away as you will not be registered with NHS Test and Trace. However you should still self-isolate immediately and you can submit your claim while you arrange to have a PCR test carried out.

We will process your claim once you are able to provide your PCR results:

  • If your PCR test is positive you will be required to self-isolate for the remainder of the 10 day period and you will be considered for a £500 payment.
  • If your PCR test is negative you will no longer need to self-isolate and if you meet all of the scheme criteria listed above you will be awarded a payment of £150 from a separate fund to cover the short period you were required to self-isolate while waiting for your results.

Before you start

You will need the following information to complete this form:

  • A copy of your latest bank statement (one issued within the last two months which must clearly show proof of earnings).
  • Proof of self-employment, such as a recent business bank statement (within the last two months), most recent set of accounts, or evidence of self-assessment returns.
  • Proof of your NHS Track & Trace unique number.
  • Your National Insurance Number.

Apply for a Self Isolation Payment


There are many people in our community who are vulnerable, and even more so during the coronavirus outbreak. If you are in need of assistance, or know somebody who may need help, please see ourCommunity Support Hub page..

Can I help someone else make an application, or make an application on their behalf?

You can help someone else fill out an application, or fill out an application on their behalf. However, you cannot receive payments on behalf of someone else. Payments will only be made to the person who has been asked to self-isolate by NHS Test and Trace. 

What am I required to do?

If you receive a Self-Isolation Payment you must self-isolate as requested by NHS Test and Trace. 

Please visit the NHS website for more details of the NHS Test and Trace self-isolation requirements for those


You may face prosecution if you have manipulated or falsified your position in order to obtain these payments, including failure to self-isolate which puts others at risk. Any payment made as a result of fraud may be subject to claw back, as may any grants paid in error.

Last updated: 30/09/2021 10:39:19