Garden Waste Collection Service Terms and Conditions
This agreement is made between the householder ("you") and Breckland Council ("the council") and sets out the terms and conditions under which the customer may use the Council's Garden Waste Collection Service ("the service")
The garden waste collection service is available to Breckland households at a cost of £50.00 per bin per year.
- The service is an annual subscription service and runs for 12 months from your service start date or renewal date. Payment is made annually in advance. A refund will be given if the service is cancelled within 14 days of payment. No refunds will be given for cancellations part way through the subscription year.
- Service rates will be reviewed annually.
- When you sign up to the service, it may take up to 10 working days to process your application. Your bin will be emptied on the first scheduled collection day after this period.
- We will write to you prior to your renewal date to request payment. If payment is not received on time then the service will cease and the bin may be removed without prior notice.
- Garden Waste will be collected once each fortnight on your allocated day. Your brown bin should be presented for collection at your property boundary or the agreed collection point before 7.00am on the day of your collection. Please place your bin where we can see and access it.
- If you receive an assisted collection service for your green and black bin please notify us and we will apply this service to your brown bin collections.
- All garden waste must be placed loose in the bin and should not be compacted in any way. No plastic bags of any kind may be put in the bin. Garden waste does not include soil, turf, stones, pet bedding, tree trunks, kitchen waste or domestic waste.
- Only garden waste contained within the bin will be collected. Your brown bin cannot be emptied if it is overweight or overfilled.
- During cold spell, garden waste may freeze and prevent us from fully emptying your bin. It may not be possible to fully empty your bin until the next scheduled collection day when temperatures have risen.
- If we miss your garden waste collection please report it to us within 3 working days the collection due date. We cannot return to empty any bins reported as missed outside of this timescale.
- The brown bin supplied will be clean and in an useable condition. The Council reserves the right to supply bins which have been previously used. You are responsible for maintaining the cleanliness of the bin.
- Any bins that become faulty through fair wear and tear will be repaired or replaced free of charge.
- Neighbours can share the service, but the bin must be registered at one property for collections.
- The garden waste service only operates within the Breckland district. If you move within the Breckland area it is your responsibility to move the garden waste bin to your new property and notify the council of the change of address.
- In the event of exceptional circumstances e.g. extreme weather, we reserve the right to vary the service without notice. Prior notification of a change of collection day will be provided where possible
In order to provide services to you we need to record your details which you have the right to see and check. We will process and safeguard your details in accordance with the Data Protection Act 2018
Last updated: 01/04/2021 08:01:02