In an emergency if people or property are in immediate danger from floodwater call 999 immediately.

To report flooding anywhere in Norfolk, call the Flooding Hotline 0344 800 8013 you can also report issues onlineReport a flood (Norfolk County Council) (opens new window)

To report a burst water main or sewer flooding call Anglian Water on 0347 145 145 or report using the online formReport an issue (Anglian Water) (opens new window)

To report a flooded road call Norfolk County Council Highways on 0344 800 8020.


To request sandbags for when there is an immediate risk of flooding call 01362 656870.  Breckland Council has a limited supply of sandbags so if your property is prone to flooding you can purchase your own sandbags from builders merchants or look to find otherflood protection products suppliers (opens new window)

Surface water flooding

Surface water flooding or flash flooding can happen quickly, without warning and is difficult to predict. You don't have to live in a flood risk area to be affected.

Any incidents of surface water flooding should be reported to the Water Management Team at Norfolk County Council by calling 0344 800 8020.

If a flash flood happens....

  • Never put yourself in any danger. If you are at immediate risk of flooding and water is entering your premises, call 999 and ask for the Fire Service
  • Deploy flood defences (eg sandbags, door barriers, block any air bricks to prevent flood water coming in
  • Turn off the electricity and gas supply. Don't touch any electrical appliances, cables or equipment while standing in flood water, or any appliances that have been immersed in flood water
  • Move pets and items of value upstairs or raise off the floor
  • Keep phones, chargers, bank cards, insurance details and house keys to hand
  • Avoid contact with flood water. Wash your hands regularly with clean water and soap
  • Do not take any unnecessary risks such as driving through flood water

Check if your property is at the risk of flooding in the next 5 days (opens new window)

Check the long term flood risk for an area in England (opens new window)

Sign up for flood warnings (GOV.UK) (opens new window)

Personal flood plan guidance (GOV.UK)

Check if you are a riparian owner. (opens new window) A riparian owner is responsible for any watercourse that runs along the boundary of your property or land, or runs through your land. This can be a ditch, stream or river. You should check watercourses are free from rubbish, garden waste and anything else that prevents the free flow of water)

How to plan ahead for flooding (opens new window)


Last updated: 26/02/2024 11:25:14