Entitlement to Vote

Who is entitled to vote? In general terms all British citizens are entitled to vote in the constituency where they are registered on the Electoral Roll, providing that they are 18 years or older on the day of the election. On this page we set out the other various categories of electors and any restrictions in entitlement. 


European Union Member States

Citizens from Member States of the European Union must register as local government electors, and may register as European electors to allow them to vote in EU elections in this constituency provided that they have signed a form indicating that they will not also be voting in their home country. This form is sent out to all registered European Union citizens before a European election. Unless they have been granted British Citizenship by naturalisation they cannot vote in national Parliamentary elections.

British and Irish citizens are registered as ordinary electors and not as Europeans.
Turkish nationals are not entitled to register to vote in the United Kingdom, but all of Cyprus is part of the Commonwealth and all Cypriots can be registered and vote in all types of elections.

To see if you are eligible to vote check on the Electoral Commission website.

A visa allowing foreign nationals to stay in the UK indefinitely is not the same as citizenship.

Foreign Nationals

If a person is not British and is not a citizen of the Commonwealth, the Irish Republic or a member state of the European Union, (two examples: United States of America and Switzerland) they are not entitled to be included on the register of electors. This is the case even if they have lived in the UK for many years.

Overseas Electors

British citizens resident abroad can register to vote by means of an Overseas Elector's Declaration, provided that on the date the Declaration is made:

  • They are not subject to any legal incapacity to vote,
  • They were once registered to vote in the UK and less than 15 years have elapsed since the Register they were on was in force or,

A parent or guardian was so registered, if the applicant was too young to register to vote at the time.

Crown Servants / British Council employee

If you are working outside the UK as a Crown Servant or as an employee of the British Council, you can still register to vote.  You can also register if you are married to a Crown Servant or British Council employee and you are accompanying them during their employment abroad.

Her Majesty's Armed Forces

If you or your spouse is a member of the British Army, the Royal Navy or the Royal Air Force, you can still register to vote.

If you are based overseas or you live in the UK but may be posted abroad at short notice, you can apply to register as a service voter.  This allows you to be registered at an address in Great Britain while you are posted abroad.


You can still register to vote even if you do not have a fixed address.  This may be because you are:

  • A patient in a mental hospital;
  • A homeless person; or
  • A person remanded in custody:

Icon for pdf To register you will need to complete this Register to Vote-No Fixed Abode form [80.58KB]

On this form you need to give an address where you would be living if it were not for your current situation, or an address where you have lived in the past.  If you are homeless, you can give details of where you spend a substantial part of your time.

Contact Details
Electoral Services
Breckland Council
Elizabeth House
Walpole Loke
NR19 1EE

Email elections@breckland.gov.uk
Please visit the Gov.UK website to register to vote

Last updated: 16/06/2020 15:12:32