Advice for businesses with sunbeds, and how to comply with the law
Changes in the law
It's illegal for anyone under 18 to use a sunbed operated by a business.
The main cause for skin cancer to develop is exposure to ultraviolet (UV) rays. This may be from natural sunlight or artificial light (sunbeds or sunlamps).
Advice for businesses
You need to make sure that persons under 18
- do not use a sunbed
- are not offered the use of a sunbed
- are not in a restricted zone
Restricted zones are where those under 18 can't be allowed access.
Where a sunbed is located in a space that is either wholly or partly enclosed for using a sunbed, it becomes a restricted zone, for example:
- if a sunbed is located within an open changing room
- if the sunbed is located in a room where other treatments may take place
If your sunbed is enclosed, providing a separate space for changing, the whole enclosure becomes a restricted zone.
How to comply with the law
You need to:
- make sure you follow the supplier or manufacturers safety instructions
- provide staff with training
- make sure you have procedures in place to provide immediate assistance to customers using the equipment
- use screens between units If you have more than one open sunbed in a room
- ensure light tubes are the correct type and meet the British Standard (BS EN 30335-2-27 - UV radiation is restricted to 0.3Wm2)
It's also good practice to:
- ensure that your equipment is cleaned and sanitised between customers
- provide adequate eye protection for customers and staff
- provide staff with information on how to deal with customers who may be under 18
- train staff in the use of consent forms and to check for ID
- keep records where staff challenge a potential customer about their age
- display notices, stating that under 18's are not allowed to use sunbeds
- display notices on the entrance to the restricted zone, reminding people that no one under the age of 18 may enter that area
- remember to exclude the use of the sunbed to those under 18 If you offer package deals or membership