Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support

Housing Benefit can pay for all or part of your rent. The amount you will get depends on your income and circumstances.

Council Tax Support (formerly Council Tax Benefit) is a reduction in your Council Tax bill based on your income and circumstances

Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support will normally be awarded from the Monday following the date we receive your application form.

Universal Credit is being rolled out in stages across the UK and is replacing Housing, and other benefits. If you fall into a group that needs to claim Housing costs through Universal Credit you canapply for Universal Credit via GOV.UK. 

Am I Entitled?

Whether you are entitled to Council Tax Support depends on our local Council Tax Support scheme, who is in your household, your circumstances and your income and capital.

Please use the onlinebenefits calculator to see if you may be entitled to Council Tax Support. 

How do I claim it?


If there has been a good reason which stopped or delayed you applying for Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support, then you can ask for your application to be backdated.

For working age customers (under the qualifying age for State Pension):

We can backdate your claim for up to one month before the date of your backdate request. You must have good reasons for not claiming sooner. The good reasons must last throughout the whole period that you are asking your application to be backdated for.

For Pension Age customers (those who have reached the qualifying age for State Pension):

We can sometimes start your claim for up to three months before the date we received your application. You do not have to request this, and do not have to give us reasons

How long will my claim take?

We aim to process your claim as quickly as possible. Our Target is to clear claims within 15 days. The quicker you provide all the information we need, the quicker you will receive your money.

Other benefits you may be entitled to:

To find out if you are entitled to any other benefits please use the onlinebenefits calculator 

Discretionary Housing Payments:

Discretionary Housing Payments (DHPs) are extra payments of Housing Benefit.

If your Housing Benefit is less than the full amount of rent that you pay you may be eligible to claim one.

To find out if you are entitled and how to apply online please visit ourDiscretionary Payments page

Last updated: 05/10/2021 11:58:36