Food is a popular way many of us socialise and we spend a good amount of time and money on it. Yet 15 million tonnes of food and drink is thrown away every year. That's the same weight as 2 million double decker buses. The average UK family wastes £470 a year by throwing away food and drink which could have been eaten, and £3 billion is wasted by food sectors.
Despite growing awareness of food waste, there are few easy ways for people or businesses to get food near its 'sell by' date to others. So far Community Fridges have helped thousands connect to their communities, access nutritious food, save money and reduce waste.
There are currently four Community Fridges in Breckland and all welcome food contributions from businesses and individuals.
- Green Pastures Bookshop, 20 Norwich Street Street, Dereham, NR19 1DB
- Open: Mon-Fri: 9.30 - 1:30pm / Sat: 9am - 12pm
- Iceni Community Centre, Campingland, Swaffham, PE37 7RB
- Open: Mon -Friday 9am - 4pm
- Abbey Community Centre, Exeter Way, Thetford IP24 1EE
- Open: Mon-Sat: 10 - 2pm
- Charles Burrell Centre, Stainforth Road, Thetford, Norfolk, IP24 3LH
- Open Mon - Fri 8:30am - 9:30pm / Saturday 8:30am - 4pm
- Wayland House, High Street, Watton, Norfolk, IP25 6AR
- Open: Mon-Thur: 9am - 12pm / Fri: 9am - 1pm
Foods that would be welcomed in the fridge are: ✓Sealed packaged foods✓Cheeses✓Fresh fruit✓Fresh vegetables✓Table sauces✓Pastry✓Unopened pasteurised milk and yogurt✓Unopened fruit juices✓Salads✓Fresh eggs (traceable Lion stamped eggs with clean shells and a use-by date)
Please do not donate: COOKED FOOD From your home or unregistered sources: Bean Sprouts, Cooked RICE Products, Raw Milk or chesses, unpasteurised milk, Pates, Products which could contain any of the above ingredients, Unlabeled multiple ingredient items
For more information on making a donation or enoying food from your local fridge please contact them directly.
Last updated: 04/12/2019 16:10:28