Safe use of taxis
Taxis are a great, safe way to get home after a night out. However, you should always check that your taxi is genuine and only ever order it from a company you trust.
To stay safe while using licensed taxis and private hire vehicles, please make sure you:
- Never get into a private hire vehicle if you have not booked it through an operator.
- Book private hire vehicles in advance - the driver will not be insured to carry you if you don't.
- Check that the vehicle you're getting into is the vehicle you booked.
- Do not tell the driver your name - ask what name is on the booking.
- Check that the vehicle and driver are licensed - taxi drivers must carry identification (a licence badge from the local authority), so ask to see it before you get in.
- Vehicles must display a licence plate and/or sticker.
- Note the plate number and registration number of the vehicle before you get in.
- Find out where the nearest taxi rank is in relation to where you're going so that you can get straight into a licensed vehicle when you're ready to go home.
- After nights out, try to travel with friends and check that the last person dropped off made it home safely.
- If alone, ask the driver to wait until you're safely inside your dwelling.
If you have any doubts, do not get in the taxi. If you feel uneasy once inside the taxi, ask to be let out in a well-lit area where there are plenty of people.
If you are unsure, pleasecontact us.
Last updated: 07/10/2021 14:02:43