If an odour is causing a serious nuisance (lasting more than 24 hours on a regular basis), we may be able to investigate.

For a problem to be astatutory nuisance, it must affect you within your home or garden and be unreasonable.

We will look into complaints about smells from industrial, trade and business premises that could be a 'statutory nuisance' (covered by theEnvironmental Protection Act 1990).

For the smell to count as a statutory nuisance it must do one of the following:

  • unreasonably and substantially interfere with the use or enjoyment of a home or other premises
  • injure health or be likely to injure health

Further details on the process can be found on the GOV.UK website.

To make a complaint about odour, please use our online form.

Muck spreading

Although spreading is recognised as standard agricultural practice, and odour must be expected from time to time, spreading should always be undertaken in accordance with theDEFRA best practice guide.

We will not usually consider complaints unless the odour persists for at least 24 hours after spreading has been completed.

Pets and Farm Animals Nuisance

Animals kept in unhygienic conditions can cause a smell nuisance to neighbours. Dogs left alone to bark for long periods may be a noise nuisance to people living nearby. Anyone owning a pet has a duty to keep it in a way which does not interfere with neighbours' enjoyment of their properties.

To make a complaint about odour, please use our online form.

Last updated: 07/09/2021 12:28:16