If an odour is causing a serious nuisance (lasting more than 24 hours on a regular basis), we may be able to investigate. The council will look into smells from industrial, trade and business premises (as outlined by theEnvironmental Protection Act 1990).

For the smell to count as a statutory nuisance it must do one of the following:

  • Unreasonably and substantially interfere with the use or enjoyment of a home or other premises, or
  • Injure health or be likely to injure health.

Use our online form tomake a complaint about odour.

Muck spreading

Although spreading is recognised as standard agricultural practice, and odour must be expected from time to time, spreading should always be undertaken in accordance with theDEFRA best practice guide.

We will not usually consider complaints unless the odour persists for at least 24 hours after spreading has been completed.

Pets and farm animals nuisance

Animals kept in unhygienic conditions can cause a smell nuisance to neighbours. Anyone owning a pet has a duty to keep it in a way that does not interfere with neighbours' enjoyment of their properties.

Last updated: 06/12/2021 15:21:48