Drinking Water Quality

Breckland staff carry out sampling and risk assessment for private water supplies under the provisions set out in the Private Water Supplies Regulations 2016

Drinking water quality

Most properties within Breckland receive their drinking water from a water company (mains supply), but some depend on private water supplies that may come from a variety of sources including wells, boreholes and streams.

TheGovernment's Drinking Water Inspectorate (DWI) assesses the quality of drinking water supplied by water companies in England and Wales. They ensure that the water authorities take appropriate action when any water is unfit for human consumption.

Mains water

Mains water is supplied by the local water authority. The main water authority in the area isAnglian Water

If you have any queries relating to mains water, you should contact your water authority. If the matter is not resolved to your satisfaction then you can contact the Consumer Council for Water, who is the industry watchdog.

Private water supplies

A private water supply (PWS) is any supply that is not provided by a water company. The source of the supply may be a well, borehole, spring, stream, river, lake or pond.

The supply may serve just one property or several through a network of pipes.

ThePrivate Water Supplies Regulation apply to all private water supplies intended for human consumption including drinking, cooking, food preparation and washing, and water used for food production.

We are responsible for monitoring PWS. The regulations give a clear indication of the monitoring requirements from which we develop our annual sampling programme. They set out procedures we must follow if we consider a PWS is unwholesome.

If you require any further information, or would like a well or borehole tested for chemical or bacteriological levels, please contact the team as per the details below.  

For help and assistance in respect of a private water supply please contact the team:

Report an Environmental Health Issue online, or by telephone on: 01362 656 870 

For pollution of streams, lakes, underground water or the sea, please contact the Environment Agency.

For water quality or supply issues, relating to mains water, please contact theAnglian Water 24 Hour Link Line on 08457 145145.

More information on nitrate in your water is available on our guidance page.

Last updated: 18/08/2020 14:16:20