Hackney Carriage and Private Hire vehicles can be licensed to tow a trailer, subject to the following conditions:
- The proprietor must make sure they hold the appropriatetowing category on their licence.
- The proprietor presents the trailer for a compliance inspection at one of our for further inspections as an authorised officer may require.
- The trailer must only be used on pre-booked journeys when excess luggage is to be carried and not for general use.
- The trailer must be maintained in a satisfactory condition and comply with all current road traffic legislation requirements.
- The tow bar and fitting should be of a type approved by the manufacturer of the vehicle and fitted by an approved agent.
- No advertising will be permitted on any part of the trailer.
- The trailer shall carry an appropriate spare wheel and correctly inflated spare tyre at all times that it is in use for hire and reward.
- The trailer must be of a design that when close coupled to the prime mover (the vehicle towing it) it does not interfere in any way whatsoever with the operation of any rear door, emergency exits or wheelchair access ramps. The trailer must be hard bodied and be fitted with securely fastening covers, which can be hard top or canvas tarpaulin type, to prevent the ingress of liquid onto any luggage being carried. The trailer shall be covered at all times whilst in transit.
- There must be current insurance which must be produced to an officer on request to prove the vehicle is insured to tow a trailer and that there is adequate cover for the carriage of luggage and/or goods.
- Any defect or damage of any kind occurring on the trailer must be reported to the Council as soon as possible or in any case within 72 hours.
- A trailer is not permitted on a hackney carriage rank (applies to Hackney Carriage Vehicles only).
- When the approved trailer is used with the licensed vehicle, a Breckland Council licence plate should be affixed to the rear of the trailer and made clearly visible.
- The kerbside weight of the trailer when fully laden should not exceed that determined by the vehicle manufacturer as being the safe towing weight limit.
- A fee Taxi Licensing Fees is payable, we can accept payment by debit or credit card. We will contact you to arrange payment.
If you would prefer the documents to be posted to you pleasecontact us and we'll be happy to help.
Last updated: 07/04/2022 16:46:02