Do I need a licence to deal?

If you collect and carry scrap metal or have a site which buys/sells scrap metal, you will require either a Scrap Metal Dealers Site Licence or Scrap Metal Collectors Licence within each of the districts you trade in.

Each licence lasts for three years.

If you apply for a Scrap Metal Site Licence this covers you to collect anywhere within England or Wales as long as the collection is by arrangement only and not door to door collections.

The definition of a Scrap Metal Dealer is 'someone carrying on a business which consists of buying or selling scrap metal whether or not the metal is sold in the form in which it is bought'.

Mobile collectors and site licence holders need to ensure they comply with relevant environmental legislation and regulation when carrying out their business.  An Environmental Permit or exemption is required for a site licence and a Waste Carriers licence may be required for a collectors licence. You will need to check with the Environment Agency. (opens new window)

Last updated: 15/05/2024 06:47:20