How do I apply for a licence?
Before completing the form make sure you have all the supporting documentation ready - applications without all supporting documents will not be accepted:
- Basic Criminal record, no older than three months old on the date of application, this can be obtained fromDisclosure and Barring Service .
- The appropriate fee (see table below. We will contact you to arrange payment).
- A passport size photograph for a collectors licence.
- Photographic ID for both licences, such as Passport or DVLA driving licence photo card. If you do not have a passport or DVLA driving licence photo card, you will be required to get a photo endorsed as a true likeness by a solicitor, notary, lecturer or other professional person ( ).
- Plan of the site showing the area to be licensed - where the scrap metal business will be taking place (Scrap Metal Site Licence only)
- From 4 April 2022:
- When applying to become a Scrap Metal Collector or Scrap Metal Site for the first time you need to confirm to us that you are aware of your tax responsibilities. This is also the case if you have already held one of these licence types but it has not been valid for a year or more. Confirmation that you understand your tax responsibilities is contained in the Breckland Council application form. You canread further guidance on the HMRC website . If you do not confirm you are aware of the guidance, you will not be issued with a Licence.
- When applying to renew your Scrap Metal Collector or Scrap Metal Site Licence you will need to provide us with a HMRC tax check code. This is to ensure you are registered with the HMRC for tax purposes, if necessary. The tax check code is valid for 120 days. This code can be added to the Breckland Council application form in the relevant section. You will need to register for a Government Gateway user ID and password if you don't already have one. You will also need to know the following information:
- When you first got your licence.
- The length of your most recent licence.
- How you pay tax on the income you earn from your licensed trade.
- You will not be able to complete the tax check if the information you give about your tax affairs does not match HMRC's records. You canread further guidance on renewals on the HMRC website . If you do not provide a HMRC check code before the expiry of your licence, you will not be issued with a new licence.
Scrap Metal Site Licence - New
Scrap Metal Collector Licence - New
Scrap Metal Site Licence - Renewal
Scrap Metal Collector Licence - Renewal
|Change of Licence (site)||£125|
|Change of licence (collector)||£55|
|Variation to licensed site||£275|
|Change of site manager||£40|
|Variation change from site to collector||£215|
|Variation change from collector to site||£355|
|Copy of licence (site)||£25|
|copy of licence (collector)||£55|
Complete and submit theScrap Metal Dealers new/renewal licence application form and above documents by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or post.
Please also email the Licensing team using the above address if you have any questions about the application form.
Last updated: 01/04/2023 00:01:05