Do I need a licence?

Breckland Council has adopted amendments made to Schedule 3 of the Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1982, and as a result from the 27th January 2011 all forms of sex establishment will now require a licence with the Council.

The new provisions bring the licensing of lap dancing premises and similar venues in line with other sex establishments (sex shops and sex cinemas). They allow:

  • The Licensing Authority to prescribe a wider range of conditions on the licences of sexual entertainment venues than those available under the Licensing Act 2003.
  • Local people to oppose an application for a sex establishment licence if they have legitimate concerns that a sexual entertainment venue would be inappropriate given the character of an area.

In addition they require licences to be renewed at least annually, at which point local people will have the opportunity to raise objections (if any).

Last updated: 15/05/2024 06:47:32