What is a Personal Licence and how do I apply?

A Personal Licence authorises an individual to sell or supply alcohol from a licensed premises. A Personal Licence is not required if only conducting the other licensable activities (regulated entertainment or provision of late night entertainment) in a licensed premises. 

Not every person selling alcohol at a licensed premise needs to hold a Personal Licence, but every sale or supply of alcohol must be made by, or authorised by, a Personal Licence holder (except community premises, church halls and village halls, please seeDisapplication of DPS for further information).

You must apply for a Personal Licence from the local authority where you live (which may not be where the licensed premise is).

You must be at least 18 years of age to be a Personal Licence holder.

A Personal Licence has no expiry date, unless surrendered, suspended or revoked.

A personal licence may not be issued to an individual or an individual in a partnership which is not a limited liability partnership who is resident in the UK who:

  • Does not have the right to live and work in the UK: or
  • Is subject to a condition preventing him or her from doing work relating to the carrying on of a licensable activity.

Applicants must demonstrate that they have an entitlement to work in the UK and are not subject to a condition preventing them from doing work relating to the carrying on of a licensable activity. You can do this by providing us paper or scanned copies of the required documents listed within the application form (which do not need to be certified) or by providing a 'share code' from theHome Office online right to work checking service (opens new window)

Before completing the form make sure you have all the supporting documentation ready - applications without all supporting documents will not be accepted

You must upload or enclose the following original documents (photocopies will not be accepted):

  • Original Disclosure of Convictions and Declaration certificate
    • You must complete aBasic Disclosure (opens new window) which will confirm any relevant or foreign offences
    • The Disclosure certificate must not be issued earlier than one calendar month prior to submitting your application
    • Applications received where there is a conviction for a relevant or foreign offences (PDF) [16KB] will be issued to the Police who are entitled to object. If no objections are received from the Police the application process can continue
  • Original Accredited Personal Licensing Qualification certificate
  • Two passport sized photographs, one must be endorsed as a true likeness by a solicitor, notary, lecturer or other professional person ( Photograph endorsement form (PDF) [471KB] )
  • Application fee
    • When completing our online form a card payment is required. We accept most major debit cards and credit cards.
  • Before applying for a Personal Licence you must hold the relevant qualification to ensure you are aware of the Licensing laws and the social responsibility attached to the sale of alcohol. 

It is an offence to knowingly or recklessly make a false statement in connection with an application for a personal licence. To do so may result in prosecution and a fine of up to £5,000.

Apply online for a Personal Licence

If you don't wish to apply online you can complete and submit thePersonal Licence application form and above documents by email (licensing.team@breckland.gov.uk) or post. 

You must notify the Licensing Authority immediately if you are convicted of any offence during the time between making your applicationPersonal Licence application form.n and the grant of your licence.

You are able to report any convictions or offences using ourLicensing Act Notification form.

Once you have received your personal licence you are required by law to inform the Local Authority that issued your personal licence of any changes in your circumstances. This includes change of name or address. Information on how to advise us of a change of name or address on your personal licence are available on our website

Last updated: 10/01/2023 13:34:35