What is a Personal Licence and how do I apply?

A Personal Licence authorises an individual to sell or supply alcohol from a licensed premises. A Personal Licence is not required if only conducting the other licensable activities (regulated entertainment or provision of late night entertainment) in a licensed premises. 

Not every person selling alcohol at a licensed premise needs to hold a Personal Licence, but every sale or supply of alcohol must be made by, or authorised by, a Personal Licence holder (with the exception of community premises, church halls and village halls, please see Disapplication of Designated Premises Supervisor for further information).  You must apply for a Personal Licence from the local authority where you live (which may not be where the licensed premise is).

A Personal Licence costs £37.00 and has no expiry date, unless surrendered, suspended or revoked.

You must be at least 18 years of age to be a Personal Licence holder.

A personal licence may not be issued to an individual or an individual in a partnership which is not a limited liability partnership who is resident in the UK who:

  • Does not have the right to live and work in the UK: or
  • Is subject to a condition preventing him or her from doing work relating to the carrying on of a licensable activity.

Applicants must demonstrate that they have an entitlement to work in the UK and are not subject to a condition preventing them from doing work relating to the carrying on of a licensable activity. You can do this by providing us paper or scanned copies of the required documents listed within the application form (which do not need to be certified) or by providing a 'share code' from the Home Office online right to work checking service

The online application portal is currently unavailable.  Please complete and return our Icon for pdf application form [141.43KB].

If required we do offer a pre-application advice service for this licence application. To find out more, please fill in theIcon for pdf Pre-application Advice Request Form [633.19KB].

You must enclose the following original documents (photocopies will not be accepted):

  • Original Disclosure of Convictions and Declaration certificate
    • You must complete aBasic Disclosure which will confirm any relevant or foreign offences
    • The Disclosure certificate must not be issued earlier than one calendar month prior to submitting your application
    • Applications received where there is a conviction for a Icon for pdf relevant or foreign offences [16.73KB] will be issued to the Police who are entitled to object.  If no objections are received from the Police the application process can continue
  • Original Accredited Personal Licensing Qualification certificate
  • Two passport sized photographs, one must be endorsed as a true likeness by a solicitor, notary, lecturer or other professional person (Icon for pdf Photograph endorsement form [471.34KB])
  • Fee of £37.00
    • You are able to pay by debit or credit card, please complete the card payment form on the back of the application form
    • Alternatively, enclose a cheque made payable to Breckland Council
  • Before applying for a Personal Licence you must hold the relevant qualification to ensure you are aware of the Licensing laws and the social responsibility attached to the sale of alcohol. 

ehcUK our trusted training and consultancy partner offer online training for a personal licence on their website.  There are also a number of Personal Licence qualification providers accredited by the Secretary of State.

It is an offence to knowingly or recklessly make a false statement in connection with an application for a personal licence.  To do so may result in prosecution and a fine of up to £5000.

You must notify the Licensing Authority immediately if you are convicted of any offence during the time between making your application and the grant of your licence.

Application forms submitted incomplete, incorrect, or missing any of the above requirements will be returned and rejected. 

Once you have received your personal licence you are required by law to inform the Local Authority that issued your personal licence of any changes in your circumstances. This includes change of name or address. Details of how to do this can be found on ourwebsite.

Last updated: 01/09/2020 07:36:47