What are the Licensable Activities?

Under theLicensing Act 2003 (opens new window), which regulates Alcohol and Entertainment, the following are Licensable Activities:

  • The sale or supply of alcohol
  • Provision ofregulated entertainment (opens new window)
    • A performance of a play (e.g. a pantomime or amateur dramatic production, including a rehearsal)
    • An exhibition of a film
    • An indoor sporting event
    • A boxing or wrestling entertainment
    • A performance of live music (e.g. karaoke, a band or a choir)
    • Any playing of recorded music
    • A dance performance
    • Facilities for making music, dancing and entertainment of a similar description
  • Provision of late night refreshment (hot food or drink, consumed on or off the premises, between the hours of 23:00 and 05:00)

The following are examples of entertainment that are exempt from the Licensing Act 2003:

  • A film exhibition solely to demonstrate a product, advertise any goods or services, or provide information, education or instruction;
  • Any film exhibition at a museum or art gallery;
  • Live television or radio broadcasts (please note if the event shown is on SKY television you are required to have a licence from SKY);
  • The performance of live or recorded music incidental to some other activity that is not itself a regulated entertainment;
  • Entertainment incidental to a religious service or meeting, or at a place of public religious worship;
  • Entertainment at a garden fete or similar event for charitable purposes;
  • Morris dancing, whether performance or participation;
  • Entertainment from carnival floats.

There are also exemptions for the supply of hot food and drink free of charge or from a vending machine or for charitable purposes between the hours of 23:00 and 05:00.

Last updated: 13/06/2022 07:33:55