Do I Need Planning Permission?

You can  access our public facing mapping system where you can identify public information about any site within the district. This system can be accessed on the My Maps section ofMy Breckland Page

New buildings, major alterations, enlargement of existing buildings and changes in the use of buildings and land are defined as development. These will normally require planning permission.

The Planning Portal have created a number of in-depth guidance notes and interactive guides to assist you.  Explore thePlanning Portal Interactive House, Planning Portal Common Projects and Planning Portal Mini Guides

Some minor residential development, including extensions to houses, erecting outbuildings to be used in connection with an existing dwelling, the installation of satellite dishes, and the erection of boundary treatments to any property subject to height/location restrictions, may qualify as "Permitted Development" and do not require planning permission. See ThePlanning Portal Permitted Development Guide. Alternatively, you can view theGeneral Permitted Development Order.

Larger home extensions, greater than four metres and up to eight metres for a detached house or, greater than three metres and up to six metres for any other type of house, must have the approval of the Local Planning Authority prior to any development starting.  You will need to complete and return theApplication Form.  It is not possible to undertake this process retrospectively.

If, after you have taken into account all of the guidance, you would like formal confirmation that planning permission is not required you may apply for aCertificate of Lawfulness, although this is not compulsory. However, this is the only way the Council will confirm in writing that planning permission is not required and there is a fee.  The information provided with the application is considered and if confirmed, the Authority will issue a legally binding decision.  This gives you certainty that your proposal does not require planning permission.  In addition to the peace of mind it provides, it may be asked for by purchasers if you sell your property.  Paper copies of the application form can bedownloaded from the Planning Portal

You are responsible for establishing the necessary permissions, consents and approvals required. If you start work on property or land without obtaining the correct permission, you could be required to put things back to how they were.

Unable to find what you were looking for or have a general enquiry? Please contact us via our online form.

Last updated: 31/08/2021 10:44:31