Do I need planning permission?

New buildings, major alterations, enlargement of existing buildings and changes in the use of buildings and land are defined as development. You are responsible for establishing the necessary permissions, consents and approvals required. If you start work on property or land without obtaining the correct permission, you could be required to put things back to how they were. For more information, please visit the Planning Portal.

Development will normally require planning permission. The exceptions to this are set out below:

Permitted Development

Some minor residential development may qualify as Permitted Development and will not require planning permission. Examples include:

  • Extensions to houses.
  • Erecting outbuildings to be used in connection with an existing dwelling.
  • The installation of satellite dishes. 
  • The erection of boundary treatments to any property subject to height/location restrictions.

The council does not provide advice on permitted development rights.

Take a look at the Planning Portal Interactive House for more information.

Prior Approvals

The prior approval process only applies to larger single-storey rear extensions. It is not possible to undertake this process retrospectively.

This is defined as extending beyond the rear wall of the original house by:

  • Over four and up to eight metres for detached houses, and
  • Over three and up to six metres for all other houses.

If you wish to build an extension of this size, you must apply to the local authority, who will then consult the adjoining neighbours to advise them of your proposals.

Certificate of Lawfulness

If, after you have taken into account all of the guidance, you would like formal confirmation that planning permission is not required you may apply for aCertificate of Lawfulness, although this is not compulsory. However, this is the only way the council will confirm in writing that planning permission is not required. In addition to the peace of mind it provides, it may be asked for by purchasers if you sell your property.

Also, you can use a Certificate of Lawfulness to confirm the lawful use class of a building.

Unable to find what you're looking for or have a general enquiry? Contact us with our online form.

Last updated: 28/04/2022 09:45:20