In the event that you are being bothered by smoke from frequent fires from the same premises, you should try speaking to your neighbour about it first. They may not be aware that they are causing a problem.  

If this does not work, you canreport a nuisance online.

Notes on domestic bonfires

Those considering a bonfire as a method of disposal should think about the following:

  • Another method of disposal, such as composting or recycling (Norfolk County Council can help youfind your local recycling centre).
  • Bonfires should be occasional.
  • Liaise with neighbours before you light a fire.
  • Check weather conditions and wind direction before lighting a fire.
  • Garden rubbish should be dry before burning to avoid smoke.
  • Never burn plastics, foam, tyres or household waste as these will produce toxic fumes.
  • Never leave a fire to smolder unattended.

Dark/black smoke

It is an offence under the Clean Air Act for a business to create dark smoke and this should be reported to the Environmental Protection Team as soon as possible. This can also be reported to the Environment Agency incident hotline (0800 807060).

Dark smoke legislation does not apply to domestic properties. Where dark smoke arises from a domestic property, it can only be investigated as a statutory nuisance.

Trade waste

The burning on a business site or transportation of trade waste to domestic premises for burning should be reported to the Environment Agency. Transporting of waste without a waste carriers licence and burning without a permit are offences. This also applies to farmers (with certain exceptions) and construction sites.

Last updated: 06/12/2021 15:21:17