Health and safety at work

Accidents at work

The following work-related accidents at work (Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations 2013, or RIDDOR) must be reported as soon as possible:

In each of those cases, except for an over-seven-day injury, the notification must be made without delay, by the quickest possible means, and is most easily done byreporting online (opens new window).

A report must be received within 10 days of the incident (or diagnosis for diseases) and be made by a responsible person, such as the employer or person in control of premises. For an over-seven-day injury, only the reporting requirement applies and must take place within 15 days.

Alternatively, telephone reporting (for fatal and major injuries only) you can call 08453 009923, Monday to Friday, 08:30 to 17:00.

Once a report has been made, it will be allocated by the Central RIDDOR Team to the relevant enforcing authority (either to the relevant Local Authority or the Health & Safety Executive), who may make further contact if the circumstances require further clarification or investigation.

For further information and guidance

New business advice

Yourlegal responsibilities tells you what you must do as an employer. Health & Safety Made Simple (opens new window) shows you how to do it.

The HSE has organised its website byindustry (opens new window) andtopic (opens new window) to help you find what's relevant to you, or you can use the search tool on theHSE Homepage

Visit HSE Books' website for a wide range of publications, many of which can be downloaded free-of-charge or purchased as paper copies.

Smoke free advice

The Health Act 2006 introduced a ban on smoking in almost all workplaces or public places that are enclosed or substantially enclosed, this ban came into force on 1 July 2007. To help businesses comply Breckland Council worked with the other Councils in Norfolk to produce a set of practical guidance leaflets.

We have a range of these guidance sheets which can be downloaded below, as well as some stocks of 'smoke-free' premises signage that are freely available. 

If you wish to make a complaint, request signs or submit a general enquiry you can complete our online form.

Last updated: 28/01/2022 15:11:37