Dangerous Wild Animals

Dangerous Wild Animals Licences are issued under the Dangerous Wild Animals Act 1976.  The Act does not apply to zoos, circuses, pet shops or to establishments registered for carrying out animal experiments.  There is a schedule attached to the Act which states which animals fall within the term "dangerous wild animal".

Breckland Council has a power of entry and inspection of premises which hold a Licence.  We may seize any dangerous wild animals which are being kept on the premises if the animal is unlicensed, or where any condition of the Licence is not being complied with.

Areas considered in respect of issuing a Licence include the accommodation, which should be secure and suitable in respect of its construction, size, temperature, lighting, ventilation, draining and cleanliness.  The accommodation must be supplied with adequate and suitable food, drink and bedding material and must be visited at suitable intervals.  There must also be emergency provisions, such as in respect of fire or in cases of infectious disease.  Further information can be found on the page: Apply for a licence to keep a wild animal.

You will need to complete a Icon for pdf Dangerous Wild Animal Licence application form [548.87KB] and pay a fee of £372.00 by debit card, credit card or cheque made payable to Breckland Council.

Your premises will also be inspected by a veterinarian for which a separate fee is payable.

Once granted, a Licence is valid for two years.

We offer a pre-application advice service to support your licensing application.  The aim is to help you to mitigate any problems which may arise during the application process.  For further details please fill in the Pre-Application Advice Request Form.

Last updated: 11/06/2020 08:32:32