Registering a food business

It is a legal requirement that most food business need to register their premises with their local authority.

Who needs to register?

Registration of your food business is free and applies to most businesses. You should complete this 28 days before you begin trading.

You'll need to register your business if you:

  • prepare or sell food or drink (this includes where all food is pre-packed)
  • store and distribute food
  • are a mobile catering vehicle or market stall  (you need to register where you store the food and vehicle)
  • prepare food or drink at home as part of your business (for example, cupcakes or celebration cakes)

If you have multiple premises you will need to register each one.

This requirement may also apply to some charities and voluntary organisations where food is supplied to the public on a regular basis. 

Who doesn't need to register?

You won't need to register if you:

  • are engaged in farming activities
  • supply only small quantities of farmed products (for example eggs, honey, fruit & veg) to the final consumer
  • only have vending machines

How can I register?

To register your food business; you'll need to know:

  • your business name (including any limited company and trading name)
  • location of the business (trading address)
  • how many people will be working for the business
  • the nature of the business

You can register your food business by completing an online application form via the Food Standards Agency website.

Please note: It is an offence to give false or incomplete information. It is also your responsibility to register and notify us of any changes.

Changes you need to tell us

You must tell us if your business closes, or if there is a:

  • change of business activity (for example caterer to manufacturer)
  • change of food business operator
  • change of company name
  • change of address for the food business operator, or where you store your mobile food vehicle

What we do with your information?

We have to maintain a list of registered food businesses within the Breckland area. We have to make this list available for inspection by the public if they ask. The list will contain the name, address and type of food business only.

Further Advice

    Do you require new business advice, food safety training or consultancy in preparation before you start trading?  Visit ehcUK our trusted training and consultancy partner'swebsite.

    Last updated: 19/10/2020 05:00:02