Starting a new food business

What paperwork do I need?

The law requires all food businesses to understand the hazards associated with the food they handle and the controls necessary to ensure that public health is protected. This requires appropriate food safety procedures to be adopted and checks to ensure that hazards are properly controlled.

The nature of the food safety procedures and checks required will depend on the nature of the business and the types of food handled. For example, the requirements for a caterer producing ready to eat meals will be different to someone who makes cakes or sells vegetables.

The law requires procedures to be put in place based on the principles of HACCP (Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points). There is no one standard legal format, with every business free to adopt their own system, provided they can demonstrate the safety of the foods produced.

New food business

There is no fee payable to make a new application to register as a food business establishment and you are able to complete the online form. It is required for anyone dealing with food in their business activity; this includes home caterers. It also is a requirement for any new owner (food business operator) who is taking over an existing food business as a going concern.

Anapplication for the registration of a food business (opens new window) should be completed by food business operators in respect of new food business establishments. The application should then be received by the relevant Food Authority (meaning Breckland Council) 28 days before commencing food operations. In the case of a change of ownership, the registration form should be completed and returned as soon as possible.

Approved premises

Approved premises are businesses that handle meat or dairy products under certain circumstances. These are generally those who manufacture or wholesale these foods, and require strict regulation.

Business-specific Safer Food Better Business (SFBB) packs

Food diary documents

My diary is full. What should I do?

Download the diary or complete it electronically on the FSA website (opens new window). Details can also be found on how to use the food diary.

Translated documents

Opening and closing checks:

Four weekly review checks:

Low risk food businesses (including voluntary and charity)

For people wanting to set up and run a food business from their own home Breckland Council has produced a guidance booklet [2.5MB] (opens in a new window).

In addition, Breckland has developed a number of checklists for various types of low risk food business. 

These checklists should be used in conjunction with a diary or note of non-conformances. Your Food Safety Officer will advise you further when they inspect you.


Last updated: 31/08/2022 07:27:34