Cost of Living

Energy, Bills and Housing

Social Tariffs

Switching provider or accessing discounted social tariffs can help households save money.  If you're struggling with energy bills it may be worth contacting your supplier to see if they have a hardship fund or are offering deferred payments. 

Anglian Water offer tariffs for low income households which can offer up to 50% discount on water and sewage charges. Residents can call the Extra Care Team on 0800 232 1963 to discuss switching tariff or discuss other ways that Anglian Water could help.Visit their website for more information.

Housing Benefit 

If you are pensionable age, or working age and living in Supported or Temporary accommodation you can apply for Housing Benefit for help with your rent. If you do not meet these conditions, you will need toapply for Universal Credit for help with your housing costs. How much you get depends on your household income, circumstances and housing status.

Council Tax Reduction 

You can apply for a reduction in your Council Tax bill if you're on a low income or claiming benefits.

Apply for Housing Benefit or Council Tax Reduction

Discretionary Payments

Discretionary Payments are short term or one off payments that are given to anyone experiencing exceptional financial hardship. You must be receiving Housing Benefit, the Housing Element of Universal Credit or Council Tax Reduction to be considered for it.

There are two discretionary payment funds available:

  • Discretionary Housing Payments - for those receiving Housing Benefit or the Housing Element of Universal Credit
  • Discretionary Exceptional Hardship Payments - for those receiving Council Tax Reduction

If you want to make a claim you must:

  • be receiving either Housing Benefit or Council Tax Reduction or the Housing Element of Universal Credit
  • explain in writing why you need extra help
  • be able to provide evidence to support your application

All applications are assessed on a case by case basis.

Visit the Anglia Revenues Partnership website for more information and eligibility criteria.

Warm Homes Fund

If you are in receipt of certain benefits, have high fuel costs, or have underlying health issues, you may be able to get help from the Warm Homes Fund.

Visit our webpage for eligibility and how to apply.

Energy Bills Support Scheme Alternative Funding scheme

Breckland households who heat their home using alternatives fuels to the gas mains, and who haven't already received a £200 payment, can now claim it.

View Information on Energy Bills Support Scheme Alternative Funding scheme

Housing Advice

For more information on housing, homelessness and other grants and loans available through our Housing Team, please visit ourHousing web page.

Last updated: 16/03/2023 11:18:39