Dog Warden service

A dalmatian and a grey-black terrier run on grassThe dog warden service is operated byAnimal Warden Services.

If your dog is injured your local vets should be able to help. if you aren't familiar with a vet. If you have concerns regarding potential animal neglect, please refer to theRSPCA.

Stray or lost dogs

If a dog is picked up and it is wearing a collar and tag, and is micro chipped, it is easier to reunite with its owner.

To report a lost or stray dog you will need to contactthe Animal Warden Services. An emergency service is available on weekdays between 18:00 and 21:00 for collection/delivery to kennels. Should you receive an automated reply because the Dog Warden is unavailable, leave a short message including your phone number and they will call you back as soon as they can.  

For stray dogs that have been collected go to theFound Dogs page.

We will endeavour to reunite dog and owner as soon as possible. However, if this cannot be achieved and the dog has to be kennelled, there will be a charge to cover the kennelling and any veterinary costs:

Dog Collection Fines (first time)£85
Dog Collection Fines (second time)£90
Dog Collection Fines (third time)£101

If you believe your dog to have been stolen, please report this directly to the police.

Dog fouling

Where dog fouling occurs on private property (such as the owners house) and they do not clean up the mess on a regular basis, this may constitute a statutory nuisance which can be investigated by the council. Fouling is an ongoing problem that affects the cleanliness of the Breckland area, both on the streets and in the parks.

A person in charge of a dog must remove the faeces straight away if the dog has fouled in an area whereThe Dogs (Fouling of Land) Act 1996 applies. Failing to do so is breaking the law and could result in a fixed penalty notice of £100 (reduced to £80 if paid within 28 days) or a maximum fine, if prosecuted, of £1,000.

Report dog fouling online

Other councils' Dog Wardens

Please note: the police no longer have a duty to receive and deal with any stray dog taken to their stations by members of the public.

North Norfolk Council01362 858500
South Norfolk Council01362 858500
West Suffolk Council01284 757053
Great Yarmouth Council01362 858500
Fenland Council01354 654321
Norwich City Council0344 980 3333
Broadland Council01603 705121

Last updated: 03/11/2022 11:56:59