Setting up a tenancy
Tenancy background checks
You can ask a prospective tenant to complete an application form giving you consent to obtain credit, previous Landlord and employer references. Make sure that the application form explicitly asks for their consent for you to have this information.
You must check that a tenant or lodger can legally rent your residential property in England. A right to rent check must be carried out within the 28 days before singing the tenancy
Check with the Home Office if the tenant is a Commonwealth citizen but does not have the right documents - they might still have the right to rent in the UK.
Before the start of a new tenancy, you must check all tenants are over 18 years old, even if:
- They are not named on the tenancy agreement.
- There is no tenancy agreement.
- The tenancy agreement is not in writing.
- View Guide on Deposit Protection Schemes
- View Model tenancy agreement for an Assured Shorthold Tenancy
- View Guide for landlords: electrical safety standards in the private rented sector
- View Guide on How to Rent
Last updated: 30/03/2022 16:00:58