What type of business needs a Premises Licence or Club Premises Certificate?

Any business or individual (aged at least 18) that wishes to conductlicensable activities on a premises are required to apply for either aPremises Licence orClub Premises Certificate from Breckland Council. A premises is defined as any place, including vehicles, vessels and moveable structures.

A Premises Licence is needed for:

  • Pubs and nightclubs
  • Restaurants/cafes that serve alcohol and/or hot food and drink after 23:00
  • Takeaways/mobile food vans selling hot food and drink after 23:00
  • Hotels, guest houses and holiday parks that sell alcohol
  • Private members clubs and social clubs
  • Cinemas and theatres
  • Off licences
  • Indoor sporting events
  • Certain musical entertainment including live or recorded music and dancing

If you are applying for a premises licence and for the sale of alcohol you will also require adesignated premises supervisor who is apersonal licence holder, unless you are a community premises that wishes todisapply the requirement for a designated premises supervisor.

    A Club Premises Certificate is required by clubs meeting the following qualifying criteria:

    • Under the rules of the club, those becoming members without prior nomination or application may not be admitted to the privileges of membership without an interval of at least two days between their becoming members and their admission
    • The club is established and conducted in good faith as a club
    • The club has at least 25 members
    • Alcohol is not supplied to members on the premises other than by or on behalf of the club
    • The purchase and supply of alcohol by and for the club is managed by a Committee made up of elected members of the club all aged over 18 years
    • No arrangements may be made for any person to receive any commission, percentage or similar payment at the expense of the club with reference to purchases of alcohol by the club
    • No person can directly or indirectly receive any monetary benefit from the supply of alcohol to members or guests apart from to benefit the club as a whole. Any indirect benefit a person derives by the supply of alcohol must contribute to a general gain for the club as a whole

    A Club Premises Certificate authorises the following activities:

    • The supply of alcohol by or on behalf of the club to, or to the order of, members of the club
    • The sale by retail of alcohol by or on behalf of the club to a guest of a member of the club for consumption on the premises where the sale takes place
    • The provision of regulated entertainment (where that provision is by or on behalf of a club for members of the club or members of the club and their guests)

    If you wish to supply alcohol to non-members (not including guests of members), you shouldapply for a Premises Licence.

    If you are unsure whether you require a licence or club premises certificate, or require any other further information,contact us using our General Enquiry form.

    Last updated: 17/05/2024 06:38:54