Noise Nuisance

What is Statutory Nuisance?

For us to take enforcement action against a noise issue, the noise must amount to astatutory nuisance.. A statutory nuisance is not simply something that annoys you. It is something that is unreasonable and causes substantial interference in the normal use and enjoyment of your property.

We take reasonable steps to investigate allegations of statutory nuisance. Officers have to make a professional judgement based on what the average reasonable person would find acceptable. In doing so, officers cannot take into consideration the wellbeing or sensitivity of the complainant.

If we agree that a statutory nuisance is happening, has happened or will happen in the future, we will serve an abatement notice.

If we are unable to take any action you might be able to take your own private action, further information is available on theGOV.UK website.

When people live close to their neighbours, a level of noise should be expected and accepted. Many noise issues can be resolved with your neighbour by having a polite word to make them aware and ask that noise levels are reduced. Often, they will be unaware. Excessive noise can be disruptive to a person's health. It is important to be a considerate neighbour and to be conscious of the noise you may be making when in your own home.

Where noise is persistent and excessive, it may be considered antisocial and we may be able to help you resolve it if you have been unsuccessful. Additional information on antisocial behaviour can be found on ourCommunity Safety pages.

Please be aware that some unexplained noise can be the result of suffering from Tinnitus.

Information and support on Tinnitus is available on the Action on Hearing Loss website.

If you wish to make a complaint about a noise or nuisance, please use our online form.

Last updated: 08/03/2021 10:01:56